Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Emerging Technologies for Kindergarten

Welcome to the Smithkin Kinders Blog. If I'm completely honest with myself, when it comes to technology, I am somewhere between semi-comfortable and terrified. I use technology in the form of computers, airliners with SmartTechnology, an iPad Mini and iPod in the classroom. At first I'm scared to use the new technology or software issued. Once I have had time to experiment and "play" with the technology I become its biggest advocate. I would love to use more forms of technology and more diverse applications within the classroom to allow more creativity from my students.

I believe students should be exposed to quality curriculum, interactive and purposeful technology, as well as a master level teacher within the 21st Century Classroom. When these three elements are present, the students are more likely to succeed in meeting and exceeding expectations.

I would like my students to be independent and comfortable with all aspects of their learning environment. The environment should promote creativity, independence, and ownership of the students' learning. With clear rules, boundaries, and training on routines students should be able to navigate successfully within the learning environment.

I'm curious about your experiences in the classroom.

What does your classroom look like in terms of technology? What would you improve or change?
What does your learning environment look like? How does it promote learning?
What resources do you have to help me create the learning environment?
How would you describe the 21st Century Classroom? What are the most essential elements?

I'd love to hear your thoughts...leave a note!

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm not a Kindergarten teacher, but I think your three elements of a 21st Century Classroom would work even in my high school classroom. I am a biggest fan the element interactive and purposeful technology! Both interactive and purposeful are vital for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy great blog post. I think many of us feel the same way you do about technology. I agree once you become comfortable with the technology yourself it is a great asset to the curriculum. Time is the issue with most of us too I think. It's hard enough getting things together and planning. If you aren't quite fluent with the technology it takes much longer to make it a regular part of your class.

    ReplyDelete